Monday, April 25, 2011

Paper Idea/Outline

Since I am presenting tomorrow, it is probably time to post my thoughts for my paper. It is not going to be finished by tomorrow, but I have a pretty good idea for what I will write about.
King Lear is my favorite play by far, so I knew I wanted to focus on that play. When I started to read Frye and his ideas about the play, I became obsessed with Frye's points about nature and how they play a part in the play as a whole. So I am going with that.
I want to relate the idea of nature in a Christian world, and the levels associated to the levels of nature that appear in Lear. In addition to that I want to focus on some of the religious aspects, by looking at the nature of people in the play. Frye says that "the stars, made, as was then believed, out of a purer substance than this world" (105). I would like to argue that Kent and Cordelia are made of the same substance.
In a nutshell...

Nature levels of Christianity vs. Nature levels in Lear vs. Nature (storms, trees, grass) vs. Nature of people.

This paper may get a little long, in which case I will cut some stuff out.

No comments:

Post a Comment