Monday, April 25, 2011

In Response to NO Fear Shakespeare

I just read Lauren's blog, that actually is a response to Amanda's blog, that discusses the different avenues for which Shakespeare is used. There was some discussion about whether Lit majors or Ed majors have a better grasp on the material. I never thought I would think about this, but it actually is good to think about.
I really loved Lauren's points about Shakespeare meaning something different to every person. As a teaching major, I am often sitting class trying to figure out how I will use Shakespeare in my classroom. I know it will take me many, many years to reach the level of Dr. Sexson, so I generally try to go a little more basic. I try to focus on the works I know I will have the opportunity to teach. Many of the sonnets, Romeo and Juliet, King Lear, Macbeth, and Hamlet are all works I have read before and all works I have enjoyed. I know I will enjoy teaching them, but how do I know I'll be able to actually do it? Many of my Lit major classmates are more well-versed in theory than I am, and they can make the large connections across literary works. I can do that to an extent, but when does it become too much for me and my students. I may find myself relying on Lauren's advice throughout these first few years. The students will relate to it the way they need to. Whether it is because they have experienced similar things before, or it is because they, like me, love the language, they will find something to enjoy. It may take a couple of years, but I do not fear that they will get there.
I have the advantage to make my students perform some of the more heart-wrenching scenes, and I think this will help in their overall understanding, and help me to convey the message. No matter what form it is in, the point is still the same.
This was a great discussion to see and contribute to. Nice work Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment